With the opening of its 22nd health center Wednesday, and its second in Palmer Township, Lehigh Valley Health Network continues to decentralize health care away from its hospitals and provide more accessible health care to local communities.
The Health Center at Palmer Township, a new, two-story, 57,000-square-foot building at 3701 Corriere Road, is in a growing area off routes 22 and 33. The Health Center at Easton opened less than a week ago several miles away at 2401 Northampton St., also in the township.
“Hospital health care has been very focused on acute care and emergency room services,” said Dr. Brian Nester, president and chief executive officer of LVHN, or what he called “sick care.”
Nester said LVHN is “dotting the landscape” with full-service health care centers so it can provide care that is more focused on “wellness,” education, prevention and maintenance and the social determinants of health.
The buildings are in areas where they are more convenient and accessible to communities, he said.
LVHN will lease the $11 million building from Anchor Health Properties of Wilmington, Del., the owner and developer.
Like the other Health Center in Easton, the Health Center at Palmer was designed with a soothing color scheme and light-filled atmosphere.
“It has a softer, relaxing tone than a hospital environment,” said Robert Kaplan, project manager for LVHN, who worked with MKSD architects of South Whitehall Township and Array Architects of Conshohocken on the design.
“It’s gorgeous. We’re so lucky,” said Alexandra Mercurio-Woch, an optometrist in the LVPG Optometry and Optical Effects department.
The Health Center at Palmer offers a wide variety of specialty services, with a focus on children.
It includes a separate Lehigh Valley Children’s Hospital entrance and offers the only pediatric walk-in urgent care in the Lehigh Valley.
Some of the pediatric specialties include pediatric surgery, pediatric gastroenterology, pediatric hematology oncology and pediatric pulmonology.
The Health Care at Palmer, which opens to patients today, includes the following health services:
• Children’s ExpressCARE – children’s only walk-in care.
• Adult ExpressCARE.
• LVPG Pediatrics-Palmer Township and four pediatric specialties.
• LVPG Bariatric Medicine-Palmer Township.
• LVPG Cardiology-Palmer Township.
• LVPG Ear, Nose and Throat-Palmer Township.
• LVPG Endocrinology-Palmer Township.
• LVPG General Surgery-Palmer Township.
• LVPG Infectious Diseases-Palmer Township.
• LVPG Neurology-Palmer Township.
• LVPG Obstetrics and Gynecology-Palmer Township.
• LVPG Optometry and Optical Effects-Palmer Township.
• LVPG Orthopedics and Sports Medicine-Palmer Township.
• LVPG Urology-Palmer Township.
• Rehabilitation services, both adult and pediatric (including physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, neurologic therapy and orthopedic therapy).
• Imaging services (including X-ray, CT scan, ultrasound, vascular studies and bone densitometry).
• Specialty diagnostic testing (including home sleep testing, cardiac disorders, neurology diagnostics, pulmonary testing and audiology).
• Laboratory testing (blood testing from Health Network Laboratories).