Seven businesses in the Greater Lehigh Valley have filed WARN notices announcing layoffs or closures since Gov. Wolf on March 19, ordered non-life sustaining businesses to close due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
WARN notices, short for Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, must be filed with the state Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industries by any business with more than 100 employees that plans to lay off or furlough workers. Employers are generally required to provide a notice to workers, unions and the department 60 days in advance of any layoffs.
The following businesses announced they will either close their doors or lay off employees due to COVID-19:
- Bear Creek Mountain Resort in Macungie has laid off 352 workers effective March 19. Bear Creek said it expects the layoffs to be for less than six months due to COVID-19.
- Camelback Resort in Tannersville has laid off 720 people from April 1 through May 4. It expects it to be temporary due to COVID-19
- Kelly Automotive Group in Emmaus has laid off 123 workers. It expects it to be temporary due to COVID-19.
- Ashley Furniture Industries Inc. of Leesport has laid off 169 employees. It expects it to be temporary due to COVID-19.
- G&W Laboratories Inc. of Sellersville has laid off 124 employees through June 30.
- MacIntosh Linen and Uniform in Bethlehem has laid off 97 employees. It said it is expected to be temporary due to COVID-19.
- The YMCA of Reading and Berks County has laid off 228 workers. It expects it to be temporary due to COVID-19.