If you aren’t stressed now, you’ve probably managed to avoid all coverage of the contentious presidential election, social media and likely all interactions with co-workers, family and friends.
But, chances are you are stressed, and the last thing you want to read about is more political dissent or contrasting philosophies.
What you need is something nice and light, something that will make you feel better.
I could tell you the story about how my foster kitten covered my nostrils with her paws after telling her I “didn’t want to smell her stinky kitten breath.”
But that isn’t really a story that belongs on a business blog, and I certainly don’t want to further my reputation as a crazy cat lady.
In lieu of a better idea, I went to the experts – on the internet – looking for good inspirational quotes to brighten your outlook.
Forbes.com has always been excellent at publishing inspirational quotes to motivate and uplift the professionals that read it.
I scoured its lists of top quotes and found some that might just give your brain a couple minutes of peace and maybe even put that nonelection cycle pep back in your step.
Forbes offered up the following bon mots:
• Every strike brings me closer to the next home run. – Babe Ruth
• Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent of how I react to it. – Charles Swindoll
• The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese proverb
• People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it daily. – Zig Ziglar
• There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing. – Aristotle
• Few things can help an individual more than to place responsibility on him, and to let him know that you trust him. – Booker T. Washington (Um – or her – just for the record.)
• How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. – Anne Frank
• If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader. – John Quincy Adams
Another resource for inspirational quotes is the business website Inc.com.
Here are a couple of its gems:
• Whenever you see a successful person, you only see the public glories, never the private sacrifices to reach them. – Vaibhav Shah
• Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. – Eleanor Roosevelt
• A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him. – David Brinkley
• The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success. – Bruce Feirstein
• I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. – Thomas Jefferson
This one was on Entrepreneur.com:
Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that, so it goes on flying anyway. – Mary Kay Ash
And this one on Motivationalwellbeing.com:
• Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good. – Mr. Feeny (“Boy Meets World”)
Sure, that last one was from a fictional character, but it’s still good advice, so just ignore the fact that he’s not a real guy.
If you need more inspiration to get yourself through Nov. 8, you can go to iTunes and download an app that will provide you with a steady stream of motivational quotes to get you through your work day. HERE
And if you need something bigger and harder to miss, you can buy some inspirational quote wall decals and stick them up right there on the wall of your cubicle as a constant reminder to buck up. HERE
If that doesn’t help, I have tons of cute kitten pictures I can share with you, and if I like you, I might even throw in a .gif of a baby koala eating eucalyptus leaves.
“Together we can get through this,” – Me.