After a cold, frigid winter that kept most of us held up indoors with the winter blues, the trees are finally starting to blossom and the smell of fresh-cut grass soon will fill our neighborhoods.
If you're anything like me, you're probably already thinking about outdoor activities to plan for this season.
Fishing, hiking, camping, mountain biking, festivals, gardening … cliff jumping? The warm weather provides us so many opportunities, so where to begin?
On April 26 in beautiful downtown Jim Thorpe, an Earth Day celebration will take place to put spring into full swing.
The festival will host an array of activities and entertainment ranging from a river cleanup to live music to Tai Chi and energy workshops.
Several craft and food vendors will be set up throughout the town, as well.
It's an attraction that's held every year and draws thousands of people into a vibrant community filled with small businesses.
Jim Thorpe thrives on tourism, and the Earth Day festival is really the main event that kicks off the town's busiest season of the year.
It's time to put away your jeans and dust off those shorts you've been so eager to again wear.
A schedule of the day's events:
Josiah White Park (train station)
- Lehigh River cleanup: 9 a.m.-noon.
- Earth Day raffle: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Full Moon Vagrant: 10-11 a.m.
- Appalachian Gypsy Tribe: 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Woodsy the Owl & Smokey the Bear: Noon-4 p.m.
- Recycle drumming workshop: Noon-5 p.m.
- Still Hand String Band: 1-2 p.m.
- Hula Hooping contest: 2-2:30 p.m.
- Am Rev II and Eclectic Circus: 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- Free Range Folk: 4-5 p.m.
- Karmic Repair Company: 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- DJ Funkbot spinning between sets.
Dimmick Memorial Library (outside)
- Terry Strongheart: 11-11:45 a.m.
- Ian Gallagher: Noon-12:45 p.m.
- Eamon Murray: 1-1:45 p.m.
- Shane & Livi: 2-2:45 p.m.
- Mycenea Worley: 3-3:45 p.m.
- Sister Agnes: 4-4:45 p.m.
- Golden Taint: 5-5:45 p.m.
Dimmick Memorial Library (inside)
- The Lorax book reading: 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Music with Dave Matsinko: 1-2 p.m.
- A-Z character workshop with Sherry: 2:30-3:30 p.m.
Mauch Chunk Opera House
- The Brummy Brothers: 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Nick Cernigila: 1-2 p.m.
- Serene Green: 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- Brother Louv: 4-5 p.m.
- Inside concert event: The Wallace Brothers and Sonni Shine & The Underwater Sounds (tickets $15, doors open at 7 p.m.).
Race Street Park
- Tai Chi with Paul: 11 a.m.-noon.
- Native American artifact display with Lynn Little Wolf: 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Green-it-up workshop: Make your own all-natural cleaning agents ($5 fee for supplies).
Through the Looking Glass Café
- Brother Louv: 1-3 p.m.
- Susan Giles: 4-5 p.m.
- David Westrip: 6-8 p.m.
Bear Appetit' Café
- Homespun: 2-3 p.m.
- Jordon Koza Family: 4-6 p.m.
- Melissa Van Fleet: 6-9 p.m.
Strange Brew Café
- Josiah Bortlick: 2-3 p.m.
- The Bee's Knees: 3:30-5 p.m.
Blazing the Trail for Education
- 5k Earth Day Hippy Run/Walk: Starts at 9 a.m. Pre-registration: $15. Day-of registration: $20. Students: $10.