The “What's So Cool About Manufacturing?” student video contest has yielded a winner.
The Whitehall-Coplay Middle School received both the Outstanding Videography Award (selected by a panel of judges) and the Viewers' Choice Award (selected by online voting) at the award ceremony at the Da Vinci Science Center in Allentown.
Judges chose the winning team based on its profile of Atlas Machining & Welding in Northampton. The team that created the video included eighth-graders Christine Eskander and Katie Lutterschmidt and seventh-grader Reece Martin.
"The contest itself I think was a wonderful idea," said Lisa Keeney, president and chief operating officer of Atlas Machining & Welding, this morning. "It's very hard to hire qualified people. I'm hoping this is going to get the awareness out there."
Hopefully, over the next five years, the interest level of manufacturing careers will be turned around for students, Keeney said.
More than 123,000 votes were cast for the Viewers' Choice Award during the three-day voting period.
Students interviewed workers at manufacturing facilities in the Greater Lehigh Valley and created videos to capture what skills and tasks are needed for working at a manufacturing facility today.
The initiative is part of the Lehigh Valley Skill Up partnership, which aims to create awareness about today's manufacturing careers in the region. Da Vinci Science Center is one of four partners in the initiative that includes Manufacturers Resource Center, Lehigh Valley Workforce Investment Board and Lehigh Career & Technical Institute.
According to Lehigh Valley Skill Up, other winners included:
• Outstanding Program Award: Northeast Middle School, Bethlehem Area School District (Gardner Cryogenics, Air Products)
• Outstanding Editing Award: Easton Area School District (Follett Corporation)
• Outstanding Videography Award: Whitehall-Coplay School District (Atlas Machining & Welding)
• Outstanding Creativity Award: Parkland School District (CyOptics)
• Outstanding Educational Value Award: Northampton Area School District (Bitronics)
• Outstanding Team Spirit Award: East Penn School District (Lehigh Valley Bat Works)
• Outstanding Cool! Award: Northern Lehigh School District (Effort Foundry)