Construction is now complete on a $1.95 million fire station building on the East Side of Allentown.
The building, designed by W2A Design Group of Allentown and built by Boyle Construction of Allentown, replaced the original East Side Fire Station, which was built in 1953 and closed in 2011 because of structural damage.
As part of the project, construction crews laid more than 40 yards of concrete under the new footer of the building for structural stability.
An investigation had determined the former building was constructed on the site of an old drainage swale that deteriorated, causing footer failure and the development of serious cracks in the walls.
The new three-bay, two-story building accommodates up to eight firefighters and two paramedics. It includes women's quarters for the first time and a workout area.
The department immediately will start moving into the building.
Please note: All comments will be reviewed and may take up to 24 hours to appear on the site.View Comment Policy