Created by the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve, a Department of Defense committee, the award provides National Guard Reserve members the opportunity to recognize their employers' extraordinary support.
"Every year, these nominations demonstrate the strength of our employers' commitment to supporting our Guardsmen and Reservists," said ESGR National Chair James G. Rebholz. "We applaud all the National Guard and Reserve Service members who took the time to tell the DOD why their employers are exceptional, and we are grateful to the 2013 nominees for providing our Citizen Warriors with the assistance and encouragement they rely on while answering the call to duty."
The agency received 2,899 nominations nationwide. The Freedom Award is the Department of Defense's highest recognition for employers supporting employees serving in the Guard and Reserve. Up to 15 award recipients will be announced this summer and honored in Washington, D.C. later this year at the 18th annual Freedom Award ceremony.
Local award nominees include:
• Allentown: Aaron's Inc., National Penn Investment Services and Red Robin No. 325.
• Bethlehem: Allied Barton Security Services LLC, Sodexo and Tim Brion-State Farm Agency
• Breinigsville: JB Hunt
• Jim Thorpe: Jim Thorpe Area School District
• Kutztown: Kutztown University
• Nazareth: C.F. Martin & Co. Inc., Nazareth Area School District and ThermoFisher Scientific
• Tobyhanna: Walmart Distribution Center No. 6080
Past award recipients have met with senior leaders of the White House and Department of Defense as part of the award recognition.
A list of nominations from all 50 states, Guam-CNMI, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the District of Columbia are available at www.FreedomAward.mil. Semifinalists for the 2013 Freedom Award will be announced later this spring.